Sunday, March 25, 2018

IS IT ORGANIC ?

    
organic produce
In the past few years I have noticed that the major food retailers that I patronize have increased their product line to include a remarkable amount of organic food.  Being naturally suspicious of the organic industry and knowing how difficult it is to grow quality and quantity in organic food I have wondered how this dramatic increase in supply can be.  Although the science and art of growing organic is on a fast track, actually producing the volume of products that have the same visual appeal of non organic food seem ahead of it's time.  Are these products US grown?  I question the labeling of US grown products, so I would never consider any foreign country label as being anything other than being fake with the intent to capitalize on the inflated price  supported by a gullible consumer.  Although my goal is reduce or eliminate commercial inputs on our operation,  I don't see how this can be developed in any significant scale for many years to come.  Organic sources of crop nutrients and the current need of labor are two giant obstacles.  Until we rebuild our degraded soils to the point they are self sustaining, any thought of producing massive volumes of organic produce is a pipe dream, other than for Yuppies and the well healed that live on ideology more than practicality.  Those would be the ones that believe in celery labeled as "gluten free".  I recently came upon an article from an organic oriented organization that I think is a partial answer to my question.  The link to that article is --->   Problem with organic designation  > .

No comments:

Post a Comment